The World According to Me

The World According to Me is a play on one of my favorite novels, "The World According to Garp," by one of my favorite authors, John Irving. While I am not nearly the writer Irving is, I hope that my musings will offer a unique perspective on life. If nothing else, I have something to look back on when dementia kicks in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, March 16, 2006

The World is Flat

Have you ever read something that made you stop in your tracks? I mean literally pick your head up and think to yourself, "Did I just read that correctly?" I'm in the middle of Tom Friedman's latest masterpiece, The World is Flat, a fascinating look at how interconnected our global society is. I came across a passage that struck me to the point where I did something I never do -- write in the margins. I try to keep books I read in good condition so that others can enjoy the words just as I have. But I was too affected.

Friedman was discussing the fall of Communism in the late 80's/early 90's and how that shifted the balance of power. As Americans, we're taught to believe that we won the Cold War and everyone lived happily ever after. But the story we are taught is but one account of that series of events. History is different, depending upon who you ask. As Friedman says, "But a world away, in Muslim lands, many thought bin Laden and his comrades brought down the Soviet Empire and the wall with religious zeal, and millions of them were inspired to upload the past." In other words, it wasn't that the Soviet defeat opened the door for fundamental Islam; Radical Muslims actually caused the fall of the Soviet regime. That blew my mind.

It is no wonder that Palestinians are so eager to blow themselves up for their Jihad. They are taught -- in textbooks -- from a young age not only that Israelis and the entire western world are the aggressors and that life isn't valuable, but it is a mitzvah (for lack of a better word) to destroy your human form and your enemies for that struggle. How do you fight that mentality?

From now on when I read a history book I am going to try to keep in mind that this is one person's, one country's or one philosphy's worldview.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home