The World According to Me

The World According to Me is a play on one of my favorite novels, "The World According to Garp," by one of my favorite authors, John Irving. While I am not nearly the writer Irving is, I hope that my musings will offer a unique perspective on life. If nothing else, I have something to look back on when dementia kicks in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Homecoming of Sorts

Mrs. E and I leave for Israel tonight. I am ecstatic beyond words. In fact, besides my wedding I can't remember anticipating an event this much for quite some time. I haven't been to eretz Yisrael since 1993. Needless to say, a lot has happened since then.

We are going to Israel for ten days as representatives from my school. The 12th grade class is studying through the Alexander Muss High School in Israel (AMHSI) program and the school rotates various faculty and staff members through to keep an eye on the students. So on one level I am simply excited to see the kids. On another level, though -- a more spiritual level -- I am looking forward to reconnecting with a land from which I have been apart for too long.

My older sisters both studied in Israel during high school. I was too involved in everything to even consider such a bold step. But I also lacked a desire to go to Israel on that type of program. So I went for a month between my junior and senior years of high school. And even then, I wasn't all that jazzed. I mean, I thought it would be fun and I was excited about meeting new kids, but the allure of my Jewish homeland hadn't yet kicked in. But I fell in love for the first time in my life. I fell for a place, a people, a home.

So it's different this time around. I don't know why it has taken nearly thirteen years to return to this magical land. My life has taken a thousand twists and turns in the interim. But I know when I arrive in less than twenty-four hours, I will again feel the comfort of home.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

N'siah tovah to you both! It will be a marvelous homecoming :)

February 16, 2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger RobSPetri said...

I can't wait to go back, either. Bring me something!

February 16, 2006 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home