The World According to Me

The World According to Me is a play on one of my favorite novels, "The World According to Garp," by one of my favorite authors, John Irving. While I am not nearly the writer Irving is, I hope that my musings will offer a unique perspective on life. If nothing else, I have something to look back on when dementia kicks in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Truthfulness

I think I know why I don't write very frequently. I've noticed with other people's blogs that there are certain themes to their entries. In particular, Frume Sarah's World almost reads like a series of sermons. There is a story and then a clear message at the end. As I am neither a licensed clergyman (thought it seems I could be if I mailed in some money) nor a trained writer, I lack the ability to craft my messages in such a way. Nevertheless, I enjoy the process of simply getting my thoughts onto paper (or in this case, a screen).

I woke up this morning thinking about the keynote speaker I saw at a conference I attended last September. The gentleman, whose name escapes me at the moment, was awe-inspiring. Not only was his message relevant as an educator, but the manner in which he delivered that message made my heart palpitate. His message was simple: You are special -- but you can be better! And I thought that if I can deliver that same message to my students, what a powerful tool they would have. So many kids feel either unappreciated or complacent. This message applies to them both.

I wondered for a moment what it takes to be a motivational speaker. And then it occurred to me that I don't have to be able to speak in a certain manner or talk off the cuff or project perfectly -- though I certainly try to do all of those things. Kids respond to authenticity. If, in my interaction with students, I can be genuine, then the message will come across.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home