The World According to Me

The World According to Me is a play on one of my favorite novels, "The World According to Garp," by one of my favorite authors, John Irving. While I am not nearly the writer Irving is, I hope that my musings will offer a unique perspective on life. If nothing else, I have something to look back on when dementia kicks in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Modesty is the best policy

Okay I'll admit it. I'm hooked on reality television. Not everything, mind you. Just a few of the delectably intrusive shows. Due to the snow in the New York City area school was cancelled. Interestingly, alternate side parking rules were in effect so I had to get up to move my car anyway which meant no late napping. As a result of my windfall day off, I had time to read a little of Harlan Coben's latest novel and catch up on the episodes of American Idol, Project Runway, and The Bachelor I had so missed on my trip to Israel.

One "character" in particular struck me. Brenna, a mid-twenties vocalist on American Idol, is just about the most obnoxious person to hit the airwaves since Omorosa on Donald Trump's debut season of The Apprentice. Not only is she cocky, but she seems to have this unnecessary step-on-others-to-get-to-the-top attitude. Do people realize how insane they seem on television? Initially you can chalk up her behavior to editing. After all, Fox can make her appear any way they want. But when her brashness and ever-increasing strangeness filter their way into the live broadcasts, the editing argument goes out the window a bit. Furthermore, my wife had classes with her in college and confirms that the way she is on TV is no exageration.

Watching these shows is, as they say, like watching a train wreck -- you can't turn away. I'd like to think that if I were on TV I'd try extra hard to make myself into a really nice guy. When I was younger I had a healthy amount of bravado, and while my ego is still solid that's toned down through the years.

Brenna's kids are going to watch tapes of her someday and probably be ashamed. Or, if attitude is hereditary, be very proud. I'm glad we don't swim in the same gene pool.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger PepGiraffe said...

Wow. So maybe if you're going to be so open, you *should* find nicknames for the people in your life.

March 13, 2006 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home