The World According to Me

The World According to Me is a play on one of my favorite novels, "The World According to Garp," by one of my favorite authors, John Irving. While I am not nearly the writer Irving is, I hope that my musings will offer a unique perspective on life. If nothing else, I have something to look back on when dementia kicks in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, August 11, 2006

Our Commander-in-Chief

I'm not one (usually) to complain about our leaders. Generally I give those in power the benefit of the doubt until something egregious occurs. I tend to think that they know a lot more than they're letting on to the public and that there may be reasons why they say or do certain things.

However, this morning I heard something crazy on the radio out of President Bush's mouth. He said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- "Make no mistake that there are people out there who want to harm us." Well gee whiz, who would have thought that? I mean really....who is making THAT mistake? I can see where reasonable minds can disagree on a variety of issues. But I don't know one person who believes we are immune from another attack. After yesterday's thwarted effort to wreak havoc on the US (incidentally, one of my students flew back from London yesterday), I am convinced that we are in a worse position to protect ourselves (especially given our military commitments abroad) than before 9/11/01.

So to whom, exactly, was that comment directed? This is prime example of Rovian politics. The conservative right is subtly, indirectly, painting liberals as soft on defense. That quote intimates that those who believe we have made the world less safe by entering Iraq are ill-equipped to lead our country. In essense, he is countering an argument that HAS NOT BEEN MADE. No Democrat has stated publicly (or privately, I'm sure) that we are safe from Islamic fundamentalism.

It is brilliant politics!

It is abhorant leadership!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home