The World According to Me

The World According to Me is a play on one of my favorite novels, "The World According to Garp," by one of my favorite authors, John Irving. While I am not nearly the writer Irving is, I hope that my musings will offer a unique perspective on life. If nothing else, I have something to look back on when dementia kicks in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, August 28, 2006

Violation and Redemption

I had a lovely weekend. Since the Yankees were playing a three-game set out in Anaheim, I got to see three Angels games over the past three days. Most people cannot sit through an entire baseball game. Due to a variety of factors, I'm part of a dying breed in this country. Major League Baseball refuses to start its most important games before 8:15 eastern time, meaning that the majority of youngsters do not see entire playoff and all-star games. How can baseball continue to grow over the next generation if its target audience is not interested? Additionally, in the information age people (especially young people) have the attention span of roughly two and a half seconds. Baseball, a game devoid of continual movement, is antithetical to instant gratification. Though I'm part of a dwindling number I enjoyed the games, particularly since the Halos took two of three from the Bronx Bombers.

The weekend concluded late last night with all the New York sibs joining to watch the 58th annual primetime Emmy's. It turns out I don't watch all that many popular television programs.

Little did I know that while I was enjoying myself something we all dread was happening...

...I walked out this morning to find our car had been vandalized. I approached the driver side door and noticed that a stack of car repair receipts, kippot, and my EZ-pass were haphazzardly situated on my seat. I knew I didn't leave them there so when I peeked in further I saw the radio was missing. "Shit!" I thought to myself. How did this happen. I peered up and to the back seat and found the passenger side rear window was smashed and glass was all over the back seat -- so much for the secruity system!

I called Mrs. E and we decided that I would notify the police and she would call Geico. Luckily I was able to get a hold of the three colleagues I was scheduled to drive to work today and they found alternatives. Officers O'Donahoe and Litigua (or another Italian-sounding name like LaGuardia) from the 24th precinct (car #1848) arrived roughly fifteen minutes after I dialed 9-1-1. Just then, Mrs. E called to inform me that Geico didn't cover us for such an incident. Amazingly, we somehow are only covered if we do damage to someone else. We're not covered ourselves. I'm not sure how that's possible. Perhaps we accidentally signed up for this type of covereage and it wasn't properly explained to us because I never would have agreed to it. So it addition to feeling terribly violated I was pissed that I would have to pay for the repairs out of pocket.

I drove to the car shop on 54th Street and took the subway home. Today is the first day teachers return to campus and we spend the entire week in "Faculty Institute." So not only am I missing just any day of work, but it's a pretty important day, particularly since I am the new 12th Grade Dean. So I'm working from home.

I got a call from the shop saying that the rear window will cost just $300 to fix (not counting labor, of course). I was shocked. I would have been less surprised if they said $3000. Even if we did have coverage the deductable certainly would have been higher. So in a strange twist, it may have been a blessing in disguise that the car was broken into. Now I can call Geico and get the appropriate coverage in case of a real emergency.

1 Comments:

Blogger PepGiraffe said...

Do you really want to stick with Geico? It sounds like they may have done some fancy footwork to get you to sign up for inadequate insurance. Maybe that is why they are so inexpensive!

September 15, 2006 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home